Script error Script error Script error
Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio (English pronunciation: /d/ (13px listen); born November 11, 1974) is an American actor, film producer, and environmental activist. DiCaprio began his career by appearing in television commercials in the early 1990s, after which he had recurring roles in various television series such as the soap opera Santa Barbara and the sitcom Growing Pains. He began his film career by starring as Josh in Critters 3 (1991). He starred in the film adaptation of the memoir This Boy's Life (1993), and was praised for his supporting role in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993). He gained public recognition with leading roles in The Basketball Diaries (1995) and the romantic drama Romeo + Juliet (1996), before achieving international fame with James Cameron's epic romance Titanic (1997), which became the highest-grossing film of all time until Cameron's science fiction film Avatar (2009) overtook it.
Since 2000, DiCaprio has received critical acclaim for his work in a wide range of film genres. DiCaprio's subsequent films include The Man in the Iron Mask (1998), the biographical crime drama Catch Me If You Can (2002), and the epic historical drama Gangs of New York (2002), which marked his first of many collaborations with director Martin Scorsese. He was acclaimed for his performances in the political war thriller Blood Diamond (2006), the neo-noir crime drama The Departed (2006), the espionage thriller Body of Lies (2008), the drama Revolutionary Road (2008), the psychological thriller Shutter Island (2010), the science fiction thriller Inception (2010), the biographical film J. Edgar (2011), the western Django Unchained (2012), and the period drama The Great Gatsby (2013).
DiCaprio's portrayals of Howard Hughes in The Aviator (2004) and Hugh Glass in The Revenant (2015) won him the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama, and his role as Jordan Belfort in The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) won him the award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy. He also won his first Academy Award and BAFTA Award for his performance in The Revenant. DiCaprio is the founder of his own production company, Appian Way Productions.
Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio was born on November 11, 1974, in Los Angeles, California. He is the only child of Irmelin (née Indenbirken), a legal secretary, and George DiCaprio, an underground comix artist and producer and distributor of comic books. DiCaprio's father is of Italian (from Naples) and German (from Bavaria) descent. DiCaprio's maternal grandfather, Wilhelm Indenbirken, was German. His maternal grandmother, Helene Indenbirken (born Yelena Smirnova; 1915–2008), was a Russian-born German citizen. In an interview in Russia, DiCaprio referred to himself as "half-Russian" and said that two of his grandparents were Russian. DiCaprio's parents met while attending college and subsequently moved to Los Angeles, California.
DiCaprio was named Leonardo because his pregnant mother was looking at a Leonardo da Vinci painting in a museum in Italy when he first kicked. His parents separated when he was a year old, and he lived mostly with his mother. The two lived in several Los Angeles neighborhoods, such as Echo Park and Los Feliz (his Los Feliz residence was later converted into a public library), while his mother worked several jobs. DiCaprio attended Seeds Elementary School (now UCLA Lab School) and John Marshall High School a few blocks away, after attending the Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies for four years. However, he dropped out of high school following his third year, eventually earning his general equivalency diploma (GED). DiCaprio spent part of his childhood in Germany with his maternal grandparents, Wilhelm and Helene. He is conversant in German and Italian.
Filmography and accoladesEdit
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/29/how-leonardo-dicaprio-oscar-climate-change-campaigner
- ↑ "Leonardo DiCaprio". Encyclopædia Britannica. Archived from the original on July 19, 2015. http://www.britannica.com/biography/Leonardo-DiCaprio. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- ↑ Letran, Vivan (August 19, 2000). "DiCaprio Boosts Artist's Show". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on October 13, 2015. http://articles.latimes.com/2000/aug/19/entertainment/ca-6884. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Catalano, Grace (February 1997). Leonardo DiCaprio: Modern-Day Romeo. New York, New York: Dell Publishing Group. pp. 7–15. ISBN 0-440-22701-1Script error.
- ↑ "Leonardo DiCaprio; Scumsville superstar; His Parents Were Hippies and He Grew Up in the Poorest Part of Town – The People (London, England) – HighBeam Research". HighBeam Research. April 19, 1998. Archived from the original on August 21, 2011. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-60640344.html. Retrieved January 13, 2009.
- ↑ "Poverty and family split spurred Leo to pounds 3m a film Titanic stardom; Gran tells of screen idol's battle". HighBeam Research. January 28, 1998. Archived from the original on November 5, 2012. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-60707495.html. Retrieved January 13, 2009.
- ↑ Slavicek, Louise Chipley (2012). Leonardo DiCaprio. Infobase Learning. p. 78. ISBN 978-1-4381-4133-6Script error.
- ↑ Nickel Anhalt, Karen (August 6, 2008). "Leonardo DiCaprio's Grandmother Dies". People. Archived from the original on September 21, 2015. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20217151,00.html. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- ↑ Silverman, Stephen M. (April 22, 2003). "Russians Lift Vodka Glasses to DiCaprio". People. Archived from the original on July 22, 2015. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,625877,00.html. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- ↑ "Vladimir Putin: Leonardo DiCaprio is a 'real man'". The Daily Telegraph. November 24, 2010. Archived from the original on January 16, 2012. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/8156277/Vladimir-Putin-Leonardo-DiCaprio-is-a-real-man.html. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- ↑ "Vladimir Putin: Leonardo DiCaprio is a 'real man'". The Daily Telegraph. November 24, 2010. Archived from the original on July 14, 2015. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/8156277/Vladimir-Putin-Leonardo-DiCaprio-is-a-real-man.html. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- ↑ "Leonardo Dicaprio". E!. Archived from the original on March 28, 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20090328235729/http://www.eonline.com/celebrities/profile/index.jsp?uuid=e9b32005-543a-4dee-81d2-f78843857922. Retrieved January 13, 2009.
- ↑ Green, Jesse (February 12, 1995). "FRESH BLOOD; LEONARDO DiCAPRIO". The New York Times. Archived from the original on August 9, 2016. https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/12/magazine/fresh-blood-leonardo-dicaprio.html. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- ↑ "Los Angeles Center For Enriched Studies: Facts about LACES". Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies. Archived from the original on January 15, 2014. http://www.lacesmagnetschool.org/ourpages/class2012/info.html. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- ↑ Slavicek, Louise Chipley (2012). Leonardo DiCaprio. New York: InfoBase Learning. ISBN 9781438141336Script error. Archived from the original on April 4, 2017. https://books.google.com/books?id=h6RbAgAAQBAJ. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- ↑ "Leonardo DiCaprio from High School Dropouts". E!. Archived from the original on October 22, 2014. http://www.eonline.com/photos/9003/high-school-dropouts/289950. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- ↑ Makarenko, Denis, Leonardo DiCaprio: I would love to read books in Spanish as it is an amazing culture, America Reads Spanish, archived from the original on January 30, 2016, http://www.americareadsspanish.org/amigos-del-espanol/3387-leonardo-dicaprio-i-would-love-to-read-books-in-spanish-as-it-is-an-amazing-culture.html, retrieved January 13, 2016
- ↑ Leonardo iCaprio, The German way & more, archived from the original on January 19, 2016, http://www.german-way.com/notable-people/featured-bios/leonardo-dicaprio/, retrieved January 13, 2016
- ↑ Leonardo DiCaprio meets Pope Francis to talk about climate change | EW.com Script error
- Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation
- Script error at the Internet Movie DatabaseScript error
- Script error at Box Office Mojo
- Leonardo DiCaprio at Rotten Tomatoes
Template:Leonardo DiCaprio Script errorScript error
Script errorScript error Template:Good article