Wissam Saleh Al Mana (Arabic: وسام صالح الحمد المانع) is a Qatari business magnate who is the executive director of Al Mana Group, a Qatar-based conglomerate operating primarily in the GCC region. The group activities include automotive distribution and services, real estate and investments, retail, food & beverage, engineering, technology, media, and entertainment. Operating over 300 outlets, Al Mana represents brands covering most areas of retail including luxury goods, beauty, fashion, home interiors, watches and jewelry.
Early life Edit
Wissam Al Mana was born in Qatar but moved with his family to London at age two where he spent his childhood and teenage years. Al Mana credits his early love of fashion and style to his upbringing in London. At age 14 he began applying to every fashion boutique on the King's Road and found a weekend job at a multi-brand store.
Upon completing his secondary education in London, Al Mana moved to the United States where he obtained a degree from George Washington University, before returning to the London School of Economics for a Master's in Business Administration.
Al Mana serves as Executive Director of his namesake conglomerate which he co-owns with his two brothers, Hisham Saleh Al Mana and Kamal Saleh Al Mana. The company was founded by his father, whom Al Mana often cites as a major influence due to his work ethic, management style and humble demeanor. In press interviews Al Mana has said he joined the family business to carry on his father's name and legacy as a merchant. Al Mana exclusively operates Infiniti, Nissan, Renault and National Car Rental in Qatar's auto sector. Across the GCC, their retail holdings include Saks Fifth Avenue, Harvey Nichols, Hermès, Giorgio Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney, Chloé, Giuseppe Zanotti, Agent Provocateur, Emporio Armani, Dior Homme, British Home Stores, Go Sport, with whom they have helped develop the sports outlet's biggest retail space in the world, Zara, Mango, Diesel, Sunglass Hut, Reebok, Crocs, Damas and Sephora. In 2015, Al Mana signed an exclusive license agreement with HMV for the Middle East, to develop a number of retail stores and online services for the British music retailer. "In 2016, the group partnered with the NBA in order to open the sporting group’s first physical retailers for branded merchandise in the Middle East. The first two stores will be launched in Qatar, with venues in Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Kuwait to follow. ]]
Al Mana's food and beverage portfolio is composed partially of McDonald's, La Maison du Chocolat, Emporio Armani Caffe, illy, Haagen-Dazs, Grom, Gloria Jean's Coffees as well as the distribution of San Pellegrino and Acqua Panna products. Al Mana group's real estate holdings including Doha Mall slated to open in 2016 (with a gross leasable area of over 100'000 m2), Mirqab Mall to open in 2016, Al Waha Tower to open in 2017; Citywalk Residence to open in 2017; and Al Mana Tower. In 2016, Al Mana invested in the Lazarides Rathbone urban art gallery. The owner, Steve Lazarides, explained that the money would be used to start an ecommerce platform for street-art prints, as well as moving the gallery’s headquarters from Fitzrovia to Mayfair.
Al Mana married American pop singer Janet Jackson in 2012. On April 6, 2016, Jackson announced, "My husband and I are planning our family", resulting in her postponing her tour. On October 12, 2016, Jackson confirmed she was expecting her first child with Al Mana. Their son Eissa Al Mana was born January 3, 2017. In April 2017, Jackson's representative confirmed Jackson and Al Mana had separated on an undisclosed date.
- ↑ "Wissam Al Mana". http://hollywoodlife.com/celeb/wissam-al-mana/. Retrieved 4 July 2017. Script error
- ↑ Script error
- ↑ Al Mana: Then and Now 21 February 2015
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Market Magnate". Gulf Connoissuer. 19 December 2012. Archived from the original on 23 July 2013. http://gulfconnoisseur.com/market-magnate/.
- ↑ "Meet the Alpha Males". Harper’s Bazaar Arabia quoted at Heavy.com, "Wissam Al Mana: Top 10 Facts You Need to Know" (26 February 2013). November 2011. Archived from the original on 28 April 2016. http://heavy.com/news/2013/02/janet-jackson-husband-wissam-al-mana/. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- ↑ Entrepreneur: Wissam Al Mana: The Family Biz, the Limelight, and the Unbearable Lightness of Being the Brand 29 May 2014
- ↑ Nissan:Saleh Al Hamad Al Mana Co. launches Two exciting New Infiniti Models at an impressive Launch Event in the Ritz Carlton 10 November 2010
- ↑ The Business of Fashion 500:Wissam Al Mana 21 February 2015
- ↑ "Mall of the Emirates store confirmed as world's biggest", Zawya, 6 October 2015. Accessed 12 October 2015.
- ↑ Armstrong, Ashley. "HMV plots audacious international expansion", The Telegraph, 3 October 2015. Accessed 13 October 2015.
- ↑ Kollewe, Julia. "HMV revival continues with global plans", The Guardian, 4 October 2015. Accessed 13 October 2015.
- ↑ Goodwin, Jamie. "NBA Stores to open in four GCC countries", Arabian Business, 23 June 2016. Accessed 29 June 2016.
- ↑ McDonald's Arabia: Our Company 21 February 2015
- ↑ Al Mana: Investments & Real Estate 21 February 2015
- ↑ Sullivan, Conor (9 February 2016). "Qatari cash for Banksy-backer Steve Lazarides’s art gallery". The Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b752bdf0-ce5f-11e5-92a1-c5e23ef99c77.html. Retrieved 19 February 2016. (subscription required)
- ↑ Here are the nine malls opening in Qatar in the next two years, Doha News, 20170204.
- ↑ Daily Mail: Then and Now 25 February 2013
- ↑ "Janet Jackson Delays Tour; Planning Family, Ordered to Rest". ABC News. April 6, 2016. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/janet-jackson-delays-tour-planning-family-ordered-rest-38187068. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- ↑ Template:Cite new
- ↑ Juneau, Jen; Chiu, Melody (January 3, 2017). "Janet Jackson Welcomes Son Eissa". People. http://people.com/babies/janet-jackson-welcomes-son-eissa/. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- ↑ McKenzie, Jo-Marie; Escobedo, Monica (April 9, 2017). "Janet Jackson confirms split from husband months after they had first child". ABC News. Archived from the original on April 10, 2017. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/janet-jackson-confirms-splits-husband-months-giving-birth/story?id=46689441. Retrieved April 10, 2017.